Monday, November 29, 2010

Seasonal Affective Disorder

Canada winter is cold.

I think everybody agree with me about this point. When Canada enters winter months, we get less daylight hours, white snow covered everything at least four months in a year, and below zero mostly for the entire winter. As you are reading my blog post, I know you have the same impression about Canada's winter because we are living in the coldest city out of the 10 provinces in Canada.

This kind of harsh,cold environment cause immigrants have higher chance of having SAD(Seasonal Affective Disorder). According to Canada.com, SAD is a mood disorder that makes people depressed, lower productivity during winter months, below are the symptoms of SAD:
  • lethargy and fatigue (low energy level)
  • withdrawal from friends and family
  • inability to focus or concentrate
  • sadness, anxiety, and despair
  • change in appetite with cravings for sweets and starches
  • weight gain
  • headaches
  • irritability
  • increased sleep

Like the article's statement from canadianimmigrants.ca. Depressions is an "destructive nature". In my opinion, I think immigrants have higher risk of having SAD because most of our immigrants are from countries that have warmer weather.Those symptoms described above could discourage immigrants to work hard toward their goal of having "good life" in Canada because of the depressions caused by the -40 environment during winter months. Even my blog mates addressed various issues that immigrants facing while they are trying to establish their family and career in Canada because of the policies. But in this situation, the natural force causes immigrants become more isolated from the community, less motivated to overcome the issues like my blog mates discussed before. I hope the state can put more resource to help immigrants overcome SAD during winter months. As I believe having positive attitude all the time is the key of overcome difficulties.

Sara

Sources:

Chotem, Marilyn(date unknown) Cycle of life - Winter symbolizes endings and loss, which can affect our spirits psychologically. http://www.canadianimmigrant.ca/health/psychology/article/803

 Canada.com(date unknown), Seasonal Affective Disorder http://bodyandhealth.canada.com/channel_health_features_details.asp?health_feature_id=72&article_id=162&channel_id=131&relation_id=10851

6 comments:

  1. SAD may be more common in immigrants, but it is also quite common in people who have lived here all their lives. I understand it may be hard to go to a doctor if you just immigrated from a different country. There may be a language barrier, or our health care system may not be familiar to them. However, it is quite easy to go to a family doctor or a walk-in clinic and tell the doctor that you are feeling depressed. It may not be as easy for immigrants, but maybe they should see what a doctor can do for them?

    - Amanda P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter in Canada is terribly cold! I didn't realize it was the coldest province though. Lots of immigrants come from cold places as well as warm places. The winter deprives me of vitamin D. Also, living in these cold climates has made me get use to them. It would be a shock for immigrants to come into without a warning. What could a doctor do for new immigrants?

    -Samantha G

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see that many Canadians must suffer from SAD; our winters are extremely long and cold compared to most places around the world. If you were not an immigrant and were starting to feel these symptoms coming along such as depression, excessive sleep, head aches, weight gain like you stated, with the changing seasons of fall into the cold winter months most Canadians would think to see a doctor. However I am sure many immigrants might not even know of seasonal affective disorder; which would make it difficult for many to seek help from a doctor when needed.

    Autumn B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think its fair to say that immigrants have a higher chance. Many of the immigrants that come to Canada are used to cold winters and SAD affects everybody differently. I do see how it can affect those from warmer climates though. A friend of the family married a man from Mexico and he was a completely different person during his first winter in Canada.

    Brittney M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of the treatments for SAD are phototherapy and melatonin supplements which would cost extra money that immigrants and refugees may not have. Immigrants and refugees are experiencing so many changes that it would be difficult to diagnose SAD because the symptoms are common for other disorders as well. After learning about SAD it made me really appreciate the sun.
    Jessica N.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right SAD is bound to affect a majority of immigrants. I am an immigrant myself and the weather in my native land is vey warm, so when I came to Canada I had to get accustomed to the extremely cold weather, needless to say im still trying to adjust since I have only been here for a few months and this is my first winter.
    Monalisa

    ReplyDelete