Thursday, December 9, 2010

immigrant adolescents

We pay a lot of attention of how immigrants are having difficulties of finding their career and disadvantages due to social inequalities that we have in Canada. But immigrant adolescents have issues of integration to Canadian society too...

Most teenagers are moving to Canada with their immigrant parents. But perceptions of immigration of the children and parent are totally different. Maybe parents view immigration as an opportunity for better future. But for teenagers, it could be departure from friends in homeland. In most cases they immigrant to Canada because of their parents, no matter if they want to or not(Qin, 2008).

We might have a misconception like they will face fewer problems because they will get educated in Canadian High School, they will integrate into Canadian culture quicker than their parents, and they will learn English quicker. but according to this article, some immigrants adolescents' relationship between their parents are not as close as when they were back home because the problems are immigrant parents face(employment, financial stresses, working at low pay jobs) result for parents spending less time with their children(Michael, 2009) . This interview for a girl who immigrant from Hong Kong said that: 

 “Now I don’t want to go home....Before, when we were in Hong Kong, sometimes we sat down and talked. It happened more often in Hong Kong than in here. [Here in the U.S.] we have to work. Even if we have time to talk, I mostly stay in my room. When I get home I stay in my room to play with the computer, listen to the music, sleep, whatever. I just can't communicate with my parents (sigh). I don't know what to say.”(Michael, 2009)

Parents working long hours cause alienation between their children, another study also reveal that 55% of the Chinese parents and 35% of students report that they have relationship issues with their parents and children at home(Qin, 2008) . 

I think beside the problems that immigrant adults are facing right now, social worker should pay attention to the consequence of immigrant families dynamics that cause by immigrants parents having hard time to find their career and such. It’s because immigrant adolescents are like other children who born and raised in Canada, they are the future of the country. Having a good relationship with their families can improve child’s well-being. And family support is very important for some immigrants, if they have some issues with their child, I personally think they will get more frustration and depression while they are facing other difficulties. I think social worker can help immigrant families to repair their relationship, then they can overcome the relationship problem and focus on other problems that the Canadian society has give them. 

In my opinion, family support is very important when family member are facing difficulties.

Sarah

Reference:
Michael, S. (2009). Continuities and discontinuities: patterns of migration, adolescent immigrant girls and their family relationships. Qualitative Social Work, 8(2), 229-247.

Qin, D. B. (2008). Gendered processes of adaptation: understanding parent–child relations in Chinese immigrant families . Sex Roles, 60(7/8), 467-481. 

4 comments:

  1. This was a really interesting post! I was guilty as well of not really thinking about how immigration affects adolescents. I can’t imagine the change of lifestyle that they have to go through. The quote from the article was so sad. I can’t imagine not knowing what to talk to my parents about. My mom has been home with us kids since we were babies, so to have her working constantly would definitely be a shock for me! I agree that this is an issue that should be looked at more!

    Alyssa V

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this post because you focused on a certain group of immigrants! I agree that the adolescents have a difficult time adjusting, it only makes sense. They had to leave their home and come to a new place where they don't know anyone and it can be very intimidating, on top of that since their family is working they may be left feeling lonley and like they don't have anyone. This can cause a lot of stress in ones life. Hopefully over a short period of time the family will become close again and be able to support each other better once they are starting to get comfortable and sdjust to their new lives!

    - Brettany G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never really of how immigration affects the children of new immigrates. I was kind of naive, in thinking moving to Canada would be so much better then where they are coming from. I never thought about how it could affect relationships.
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just dеsire to sаy youг articlе iѕ аs surprіsing.

    Thе сlarity in yоur put up is ѕimрly niсe аnd і сan suppοse уou're an expert in this subject. Fine together with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to stay updated with drawing close post. Thank you one million and please continue the enjoyable work.

    Feel free to visit my homepage: http://agilitys.com/

    ReplyDelete